Monday 29 April 2013

...of divas and delis...


When my niece Emilie asked me to produce a birthday drawing of her friend as a super hero, of course - I said yes. 
No problem. 
Easy.
Oops...  
Not that easy after all. 
A lottle bit rusty in fact...



Happy Birthday Katie!... aka KateWoman - ouch!

When Estelle saw my first faltering sketches she stepped in and said - 
'What is she doing - getting dressed, undressed?' 
I like the energy of the first drawing, but she's out of proportion, there are anatomical errors, and what is she doing...? 
Me I don't mind the ambiguity, but anyway... 
...let's get it right!


Katie - my first superhero drawing
in ages, and it shows...



...and with a little bit of help from artist
extraordinaire - Jaimie Hernandez...


Like anything - if you don't practice regularly and at least keep up with it - you can't expect to just pick up where you left off. 
Especially if where you left off is almost two years ago! 
But with a lot help (translate - art direction!) from my better half I got there in the end. 
Now if I was drawing a building...no problem! 


...first layout 'Freddies Deli' - High St. Downham Market...


I'm working on the follow up to the Downham Market 2013 Calendar with the Downham Market and King's Lynn 2014 Calendar, and while I have a few images ready to go, I thought I'd better get on with the new work - which is why I'm sitting in the shade outside Freddies Deli at the Castle Hotel end of Downham Market's High St.
It's pretty nippy out here in the shade, but in the first half hour I sketch in the general placement of the building and preliminary details. It's beginning to make sense. 
While I'm sketching away, I'm asked by passersby if I would take on a commission to draw their house on Railway Rd - naturally I'm flattered and say yes, though I'm informed that there is no space opposite to set up an easel so photo ref it is. 
I continue with the 'Freddies' drawing and feel that after an hour and a half I've got as much as I need to continue with the drawing in the studio. 
Only thing is there is a rather tall chimney pot on the left hand chimney, which is actually going off the top of the page - I'd prefer that it didn't so I'll have to transfer the entire drawing via lightbox to another piece of watercolour paper and reposition the drawing two cm lower or so. 
What did I say earlier...?

Now if I was drawing a building...no problem! (??)


 



No comments:

Post a Comment